BGE appliance recycling is a program for BGE customers where they will pick up and haul away an old refrigerator or freezer for recycling at no cost – and will give a reward! Right now, it runs through 12/31/2020.
Here are the qualifications, per the BGE Smart Energy website:
- You must be a BGE residential electric customer with a valid account number.
- You must own the refrigerator, freezer, dehumidifier or room air conditioner.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be 10 to 30 cubic feet.
- Your appliance must be in working condition.
- An adult age 18 or older must be present at the time of pick-up.
- Your appliance will be picked up, at no charge, from the address listed on your billing account.
- There must be a clear and safe passage for unit removal. We cannot remove railings or move furniture in the home.
- The refrigerator, freezer or dehumidifier must be cleaned out, and room air conditioner must be removed from window prior to pick-up.
- We are unable to accept any units with mold or mildew damage.
- Elevator access is required for any unit located above the second floor.
- The $50 and/or $25 rewards will be mailed to you within four to six weeks.
- Limit of three large units (refrigerator and/or freezer) and four small units (room air conditioners and/or dehumidifiers) per BGE residential household from 1/1/2018 through 12/31/2020.
What is the reward? $50 for recycling an old (WORKING) refrigerator or freezer.
$25 bonus reward if you ALSO recycle a working room air conditioner or dehumidifier along with the refrigerator or freezer.
What a great program from BGE!