Are you planning to be in Baltimore Memorial Day weekend? Well, there are a number of activities you can enjoy!
- Brew at the Zoo and Wine Too is Saturday and Sunday at the Baltimore Zoo. Beer and wine samples, a kids play area, plus the animals and exhibits at the Zoo! More details and ticket information on their site.
- The Soft Shell Crab celebration starts on Friday, May 24 and runs through June 2. There are 70 participating restaurants, so enjoy some Baltimore soft shell crabs! Visit dinedowntownbaltimore.com for more information.
- Oregon Ridge Beach in Hunt Valley opens for the season. Admission price is not very expensive, and you can also get a season pass. The beach will be open all weekend from 10am-6 or 7pm. The water closes 1/2 hour before the beach does. There are more details on the Baltimore County Government site. The weather is supposed to be nice, but not hot, so you can also check out Oregon Ridge Park for fun and nature!
- Fort McHenry in Downtown Baltimore is open all weekend, and on Monday from 10am-4:30pm they have a special observance for Memorial Day. The flags will be raised at full mast at noon, there is a National Moment of Silence at 3pm, plus information about the history of Memorial Day. Here is the Fort’s website with more information.
- Pools open! If you don’t have a membership to a local pool, sometimes you can get a day pass, or you may be able to find a public pool (there are a few in Baltimore City, including one new one in 2013) to visit, though this Memorial Day looks to be lovely, it doesn’t seem hot enough for a pool!
- Visit a park! The NCR Trail runs from Hunt Valley to the Pennsylvania line. There are trails, water for kayaking, white water rafting (though the water would most likely be rather cold!) and more. Oregon Ridge Park in Hunt Valley, Gunpowder Park on the Eastern side, and in Downtown Baltimore, Druid Hill Park, Patterson Park, Federal Hill Park and others.
- Balticon Science Fiction Festival is in Hunt Valley May 24-27!
- Sowebo Arts & Music Festival is Sunday, May 26 12-8pm. Live music on four stages, art show, kids’ activities, and more. Admission is FREE! More details are on their website. SoWeBohemian is held near Historic Hollins Market in the 1100 Block of Hollins St in Downtown Baltimore.
- Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens in Timonium has a tribute to those who have defended our country’s freedom on Monday the 27th at 10am.
Many of us celebrate Memorial Day Weekend as the unofficial start to summer, but we should not forget those who have lost their lives to defend our country.
I thank our servicemen and servicewomen who protect us every day.
American Flag over Federal Hill Photo courtesy of Panther1619 via Flickr CC